The WSRC is committed to representing the voice of the customer, and so we are interested in the individual customer experiences at the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). 

Our role is to listen to individual stories and to identify systemic issues that need to be addressed to increase the quality and availability of DVR services in the State of Washington. If you have encountered difficulty during the vocational rehabilitation process there are resources available.

Contact the Client Assistance Program

Title I Section 112 of the Rehabilitation Act establishes the Client Assistance Program (CAP). CAP is an independent entity from DVR created specifically to support DVR customers in resolving individual case issues.  Any DVR customer has the right to call a representative of CAP at any time in the VR process.  Seeking information from CAP, learning about their services, or seeking their assistance regarding your case is not adversarial, it is your right.

Contact the Client Assistance Program

Understanding Your Rights as a DVR Customer

As a DVR customer, you make decisions about your employment goals and services in partnership with a DVR counselor. It is important for you to know your rights throughout the rehabilitation process when making these decisions.

You have options if you disagree with a decision made by a DVR counselor.

Talk with DVR

Explain the reason you do not agree with your counselor and share information you think your counselor does not have. You may also ask for assistance from your counselor's supervisory or the DVR director.

Request Formal Mediation

Mediation is voluntary meaning both individuals must agree to mediation for it to happen. A mediator will meet with you and your DVR counselor, and both you and DVR will describe the actions taken and decisions made about your case. The mediator will try and help you reach an agreement with DVR. If you are unable to come to an agreement, you have still have other appeal options.

Request a Fair Hearing

You can request a fair hearing anytime you disagree with a DVR decision that affects the vocational rehab services you receive.

Note: Even if you request a fair hearing, you may still resolve the issue on your own with DVR. If you reach an agreement with DVR before the hearing, you must let the Office of Administrative Hearings know to cancel.

To ask for a fair hearing, send a written request to the Office of Administrative Hearings. You must include the following information in your written request:

  • Your name, address, and telephone number
  • The name of the DSHS program that the fair hearing involves (such as DVR)
  • A written statement describing the decision and the reasons you disagree; and
  • Any other information or documents that relate to the matter.

* You must submit your request for a fair hearing within 45 days of the date the VR counselor makes the decision with which you disagree.

* You may ask any DVR employee for instructions or assistance to submit a request for a fair hearing.